Ngam is a fun, high-energy restaurant in the East Village that serves “modern Thai comfort food”. They serve only hormone-free beef, chicken and pork as well as use organic and cage free eggs and dairy products; they are vegan and gluten-free friendly as well, and I love the way the menu really embraces a wide range of ingredients and some modern flair, while also offering traditional Thai fare.
Kiyo and I split two dishes; the first, and my favorite, was the “Pad See Ewe” – Smokey Wok Charred Noodles w/ Black Soy Sauce. A more vegetable-heavy version of the classic Thai flat-noodle dish, this had chicken, farm eggs, broccoli, kale and cauliflower. I absolutely loved this dish and didn’t want to share with Kiyo (but sadly I had to, since I’d already promised). My one complaint is that some items are a bit overpriced, especially when good Thai restaurants are a dime a dozen in NYC; this dish was $14 and the below burger was $16. However, we checked in (on Yelp, I believe) and each got one free drink, which made the total tab seem much more fair.
Our second split item was the “Sai Oor Farang” Thai Burger, a 7oz hormone-free beef patty with homemade “saioor” curry paste, cilantro lime mayo, green papaya kraut and Chiang Mai fries (kabocha pumpkin, sweet potato, homemade red curry mayo, sweet and sour peanut relish). The fries were almost like tempura and were amazing (I could have eaten even more than I did). The burger wasn’t much like regular beef burgers; the meat was more finely ground and tasted like lemongrass, which made it almost more like a gyro than a burger. It was good, and interesting, but it wouldn’t satisfy if you were in the mood for a real cheeseburger. And, I’d prefer my pad see ewe, which was just to die for.
A few items I’d love to go back and try:
- “Prik King” Brussels Sprouts
- Beet Dumplings – Farm fresh beet dumplings, homemade hand-rolled egg noodles, homemade kao soy curry, pickled mustard, shallot, cilantro
- Pomelo Salad – Pomelo, tamarind & chili dressing, crispy shallot, toasted coconut, kaffir lime leaf, lemongrass, peanut
- Lamb “Massaman” Roti Potpie – Locally raised lamb shoulder, cashews, sweet potatoes, homemade “massaman” curry, roti bread, cucumber “a-jard”
- Papaya Pad Thai – Green papaya noodles, Ngam’s Pad Thai sauce, farm eggs, peanuts, garlic, chive, tofu. Choice of chicken, pork, beef, tofu, or vegetable